Did you know that a study conducted by Rush University Medical Centre revealed that flip-flops and sneakers with flexible soles are easier on the knees?
Putting too much pressure on the knee joints can be one of the leading causes of Osteoarthritis. But the cure for this ailment isn’t too far away. It’s right there on your feet. Yes, you guessed it right. Osteoarthritis is one such condition that you can cure with shoes.
What is Osteoarthritis?
Footwear is known to offer comfort and support to your feet. But the shoes you wear also impact your knee joints, especially when you walk. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis, occurring when the protective cartilage that cushions the ends of your bones wears down over time.
How can your shoe choice help or hurt osteoarthritis?
Physical activity can help reduce osteoarthritis but it’s all in the shoes. The right pair of shoes can make all the difference in combating this condition. Hence, it all comes down to which shoes should you opt for?
- Stability shoes: There’s a reason why stability shoes are prescribed for those suffering from osteoarthritis. These shoes offer extreme comfort and cushion for the foot, protecting your foot from any major impact.
- Barefoot shoes: Barefoot shoes also known as minimalist are a kind of thin sneakers. This barefoot shoe is a perfect example of cure with shoes for osteoarthritis. What makes it special is that this shoe has flexible soles and imitates barefoot walking that promotes comfort.
- Flat walking shoes: These shoes consist of relatively thin and rigid soles that offer lesser cushioning or arch support. This is why flat walking shoes is considered to be one of the best cure for osteoarthritis.
- Flip-flops: A research revealed that the load on knee joints were less by 15% when one wore flip-flops. Flip-flops offer a sense of comfort and stability to the feet, which makes it ideal for those suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Rocker-bottom shoes: Rocker-bottom shoes easily fall into the category of cure with shoes due to their natural promotion of heel-to-toe motion. This keeps the excess weight off your forefoot and reduces pain to a great extent.
- Ballet flats: Why just opt for shoes when something as stylish and fancy as ballet flats can make all the difference? These shoes not only look trendy but are also pretty great for osteoarthritis.
- Sandals: You can specifically look for a sandal that helps keep your foot in check. Search for sandals that have straps in them. It’s better if the strap goes all the way across the back of your ankle. Avoid sandals with straps that affect the sensitive areas of your feet.
Osteoarthritis can be caused due to numerous reasons and can be a painful ailment. But there’s no better cure than the cure with shoes. Try these shoes and get relief from the aching pain on your feet. If you feel the foot pain is persistent and needs the urgent attention of a medical practitioner, we suggest you don’t delay it any further.