Diabetic Foot Care: Risk Factor, Complications and PreventionJanuary 3, 2020
The Myths about Diabetes FootcareJanuary 10, 2020
Gone are the days when we kept saying that ‘winter is coming’, because ‘winter has already arrived’.
Now it’s time to take out all the carefully stacked sweaters, mufflers, jackets from your suitcases and make the most of them in this winter season. But before you get all comfy in your warm clothes, don’t you think you’re forgetting something? Your feet and your heels! Dry feet and cracked heels are a common concern during winters. So here are some simple ways that help you avoid getting dry cracked heels and give your feet the much-needed relief.
- Moisturise day in and day out: It doesn’t matter if you’re protecting your feet or preventing them from cracked heels, moisturizing is the right way to go. Applying a good moisturizer at least once a day can minimize loss and help retain the fluids in your skin. Once you apply the moisturizer, wear socks to soak in the moisture.
- Increase your water intake: Not many individuals know that water can be an effective measure to prevent your cracked heel trouble. It’s said that the skin can lose close to a liter of water in a day, which leads to dryness of the skin. Hence, it’s advisable to keep yourself hydrated and restore your skin’s natural glow.
- Soak and scrub the feet well: Ensure that you soak your feet in lukewarm water for a good 15-20 minutes. This helps your feet get softer and smoother. After soaking, scrub your feet properly as it helps in exfoliating dry, dead, and rough skin.
- Have a pair of closed shoes: Purchasing closed shoes that are comfortable and protect your feet during winters are the best option. As shoes that open can cause your skin to dry faster, resulting in cracked heels—closed shoes are the best option to keep your feet safe.
- Apply olive oil for relief: Olive oil works miraculously on cracked heels. The nourishing properties in it make your skin smooth, soft and healthy. All you need to do is apply some olive oil on your feet and massage it gently for 15 minutes. Let it be for a while and then rinse it off.
Read more – 5 Important Winter Foot Care Tips for Healthy Feet
It’s time to bring in the winters and enjoy it to the fullest. But as the winters set in, don’t forget to keep your feet and heels safe, smooth, and soft by using these remedies.