Fallen Arches or Flat Feet Treatments in Kolkata
Flat feet or fallen arches is a common problem that may causes chronic pain and compromise mobility. If you suffer from flat foot condition and this is affecting your walk or exercise pattern please contact CuraFoot Clinic immediately.
Feet of adults usually have an arch (an upward curve) between the forefoot and the heel. This structure is caused due to tendons. There are multiple tendons that connect and pull the lower legs and the bones of the feet, causing the arch. The arch is usually developed as a person grows older and is not present from birth. Flat foot is therefore very commonly found in children.
Symptoms of Flat Feet:
Flat foot conditions in adults usually do not cause health complications and do not require treatment for the same. However, for some people, it may cause chronic pain and compromise mobility.
Symptoms usually include:
- Chronic tiredness of feet
- Persistent pain in the heels or midfoot
- Swollen feet (without apparent reason)
- Back or leg pain
- Over-pronation (wherein the pressure of walking occurs in the inner edge of the foot instead of on the forefoot/ball of foot)
The simplest way to check for the flat foot is to see if your foot has an upward arch. You can also wet your foot and make an imprint on a flat surface. The flatness of the foot is directly proportional to the area that touches the ground (the more the area, the flatter the foot).
Causes of Flat Feet:
There can be a number of causes for the development of flat foot:
- Genetic inheritance
- Injury to the bones of the foot causing break or dislocation
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Nerve issues or damage
- Injury to the tendons (such as tear or unnatural stretching)
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- High blood pressure
Flat Feet Treatment:
There are simple treatments of the flat feet that can be followed and the condition usually does not require surgical intervention. Depending on the recommendation of the foot doctor, the following methods of treatment can be followed:
- Custom insoles & shoes: Custom Insoles or shoes that are specifically designed for your flat feet help by providing accurate arch support as required. This, in turn, helps with the prevention of over-pronation of the feet. The custom footwear also helps in relieving the persistent foot pain. Usually, the customizations are modified over a period of time to let the user get habituated to wearing orthoses. People usually wear custom footwear to avoid discomfort and get relief from pain for the length of their lives
- Physical therapy: Consult a physiotherapist for recommendations of foot exercises – certain forms of exercise can help in the cure of foot and ankle pain caused by flat feet.
- Treatment of the underlying ailment: Treating the ailment causing flat foot may provide relief from the symptoms. For example, losing weight for obese people, or addressing the injured tendons can relieve you of the pain associated with flat feet. It is recommended to refer to a foot doctor for the same.
- Painkillers: A doctor may decide to prescribe pain relief medication to treat the symptoms caused by flat foot.
It is highly recommended that you consult a doctor in case you suffer from extreme pain, discomfort or swelling caused by flat feet, to understand the issue at an early stage and start the treatment process before the symptoms turn severe.