THE FACTS ON ANKLE PAIN
Ankle Pain affects ligaments on the outside of the ankle. Most athletes once they have an ankle pain will experience this multiple times. In most cases, they could develop chronic instability (multiple recurring sprains). Consult your CuraFoot doctor for a thorough diagnosis.
This condition is called chronic ankle instability. Such individuals may get repeated ankle sprains or feel that their ankle is giving away. This is serious because with each sprain, one increases the chance of ankle arthritis in later life.
Arthritis or “Degenerative arthritis” is damage to and inflammation of the joint. This damage if due to wear and tear is called Osteoarthritis. As the ankle is a commonly injured joint, its wear and tear over many years could cause significant problems in later life.
- While ankle pain is primarily caused by injury during physical activity, it can also be a result from osteoarthritis.
- Wearing incorrect shoes with improper support
- Standing or walking for long periods of time
- Overuse of the feet during sports
- Being overweight or obese
Symptoms can include:
- Chronic or recurring ankle pain
- Ankle pain after sitting or sleeping
- Swelling in the ankle
- Ankle stiffness
- Lessened range of motion in the ankle
HOW TO RELIEVE ANKLE PAIN?
Steps you can take to help relieve pain in your ankles:
- Use shoes with correct insoles to support and cushion your feet and ankles
- Eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly to stay healthy
- Ankle stretching and strengthening exercises to be done regularly to help prevent injuries
- To avoid running and any strenuous exercises